Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Ever Wrestle a Wet Seal?

I do not recommend it!




This morning started around 0530, when Miguel woke up ready for the day. I had him dressed by 0600 and then I started to get ready. While I was in the shower, he helped himself to Uncle Jason's jacuzzi tub. The only problem is that Miguel didn't want to get out. He wasn't done. However, according to me....HE WAS! It was 0700 and the bus pulls up around 0705-0710.







The HUGE tub was already half full and Miguel likes to wait until it is completely drained before he even considers getting out. Today, this was not an option.


I had my hands on the knobs so he wouldn't fill the tub up, while I spoke to him in a calm, even keel voice about getting out of the tub, getting dressed, getting on the bus....all while he grunts and swings at me....yes, I see the trend and FUK! I hate Autism more than most people. I continue to talk to him while he unsuccessfully swings at me.

Actually, he swings at me, hits the tile trim around the tub and then holds his hand out for me to hit it. He likes the sensory input of pressure on the nerves on the back of his hand.... so, of course, I don't hit him because aggression breeds aggression and I'd be reinforcing his negative behavior.



So on the last swing, I grabbed his wet arm, pulled him towards me, locked my arms under his armpits and pulled the 117 pound, wet seal from the tub.




He was on the floor on his hands and knees, where I quickly dried him off and picked him up to get dressed again. He was fairly compliant walking down the stairs. He only reached back and tapped me on the leg once. He put his shoes on, at my request, but then he wouldn't stand up from the stairs. I heard the bus pull up and I couldn't get him to stand up! He pulled his hands in and leaned back with all his body weight, so I couldn't pick him up.
Damn, he is smart AND stubborn!!!! I'll never know where he got THAT from!! ;)
After much coaxing and encouraging, he was kind enough to stand up and walk to the bus. At this point, he was genuinely crying because he had a goose egg on his right knee from the shenanigans in the bathroom. NOW, I feel AWFUL!!! Poor baby!

"There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people."
--Muhammad Ali

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miguel Fa butta

Tarabay said...

Sounds like a hell of a workout. I guess on morning like that your day and only get better?? Your a champ..

Kel and Migs said...

Damn right, tarabay! The days usually get a whole lot better, which makes everything worth it!

Keep hammering.