Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lawsuit against Lufkin State School...

I have sought out legal representation and per my attorney's request, I have edited this blog.

I recently started persuing a medical malpractice lawsuit against Lufkin State School and found out how crappy the State of Texas is with this issue.

Here is an intresting tidbit. Read below the response from a law firm........

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we will be unable to pursue a medical malpractice claim on your behalf. As a result of legislation passed during the 2003 session, many cases of true medical negligence cannot be prosecuted economically.

The legislation, which was the result of a multi-million dollar lobbying campaign by insurance companies, HMOs and corporate interests, immunized negligent conduct in many instances and put harsh caps on the amount of recoverable damages. It was supported by Gov. Perry, House Speaker Tom Craddick and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst. Because of this legislation, we will not be able to represent you. You may also want to contact Texas Watch, a citizen group that fights for Texas families. By lending your name, your story and your support to this effort, you may make a difference.

Texas Watch can be reached at 1-888-738-4226 or at www.TexasWatch.org. We encourage you to seek another opinion, if you wish to do so. It is possible that another law firm may have a different opinion. Bear in mind, however, that there is a strict two-year statute of limitations in Texas. That means that you have two years from the date of the negligent act within which to bring suit. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your case. We wish you the best.

I say, we just put a big, fat, huge sign over Texas to all incompetent doctors who received their license from the same Cracker Jack box I got my lick on tattoo out of and say,


"Come practice your bullshit here!!! As long as don't kill anyone, you are OoooooKaaaaaayyyyy!!!!"
I think I am going to medical school. I can get a fat paycheck and peddle any drug I want for whatever reason. I don't even have to give a good diagnosis.

13 comments:

TheFiveDays said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That, my friend, was a huge SCREAM of frustration for you.

How is it possible that such idiots have the jobs that they do???

And what an unbelievable response from the law office...amazing...

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

I am sorry that you have to put up with such unprofessional behavior from a "so called" professional. Miguel is adorable by the way...Ilove his smile. :)

Laura (lulu)

Anonymous said...

WTF! How can a government take such little care of its people as to allow negligence to go unpunished to such an extent. Irreparable damage or death? What about emotional distress? What about irreparable psychological damage, which probably can't be diagnosed until later? Does irreparable damage mean accidental loss of a limb or inadvertently removing an important organ instead of an appendix? What about leaving a sponge in after an operation, or prescribing the wrong drugs for the ailment (like in your case)? Who's to say that there is not irreparable damage. I recommend doing a little research on insulin overdose, if you haven't already, and seeing what comes up.

It will all turn out right in the end. The important thing is that Miguel is okay.

Tarabay said...

Dr Carlin... Did you know he was partners with Dr. Dre, and Dr. J?? Sorry you had to go through that...

Just a reminder, I have friends... remember???

Jane said...

don't understand why you can't get representation. That is clearly medical negligence. Really, more of DUH! DI and DM are completely different. And then you don't start someone on that high dose of insulin at first anyway. Hmmmm, might want to try another law office? I don't know if the law is really interpreted that way. It's meant to protect in order of poor outcome of the disease, but not to protect for real mistakes (I think.)

IAD said...

HUGS to you and lil Mr. Migs!!!!!!!!

We'll miss you here at the plantation...lol!

TheFiveDays said...

Just checking back in to say I was thinking of you guys and hoping you & Miguel are well!

Anonymous said...

I have contacted over 50 law firms concerning my case. I have gotten the exact response you did and many more that basically say the same thing. Something needs to be done about our Texas malpractice laws.

MAR

TheFiveDays said...

We're thinking of you guys!

Kel and Migs said...

Thanks Days, likewise! Congratulations on achieving drinking out of a cup!!! Totally exciting!!

Misty's Aunt said...

I am also having a BIG problem with Lufkin State School and can't find anyone who wants to sue them. I would really like to know who you finally found.

All I want is for my niece to get out and come live with me in my home. They keep drugging her more all the time cuz she is so unhappy that she can't get out yet.

I'm very happy to see that Michael is OK.

Kel and Migs said...

Hi Misty's Aunt, why can't your niece leave LSS? Whoever her guardian is, has the power to remove her.

Anonymous said...

They should have discharged her to me in April 2008 when I was awarded full guardianship. They didn't so I moved to Lufkin to await her discharge. We were assaulted by a man I was sharing a house with who wanted money for drugs. Since then they think I am a crackhead and whore. My sister even told them several lies about me because she doesn't want her daughter to ever get out. After the assault, without even asking one question, they modified the guardianship so I have to be under total guard while I visit her at the school and can't take her off-campus anymore. 2-1/2 years later I'm still fighting. Trying to prove my innocence when they should be trying to prove my guilt. Adult Protective Services is the only agency that asked any questions, and they exonerated me saying they see no reason not to release her to me. The ad litem attorney Mrs. Charanza is a huge thorn in this and never told the judge that everyone at LSS was very happy for Misty getting out of there before the assault. It's such an unncecessary mess. --- I can't get logged in.--- :0(