Sunday, May 18, 2008

Anticipating a new start

Court was "successful", if that is what you want to call it. I testified that Miguel was not manageable in his "least restrictive environment" (LRE) and that he was in need of a more structured environment.

Miguel's evaluations show that he needs "constant supervision" and a level of need is an "8", which indicates residential placement.

I am part relieved that Miguel may get his needs met by a 24/7 staff, that I won't die an early death from exhaustion and emotional beatdown and that Miguel may learn to live more independently and maybe even communicate his needs better. I have hope that this is what is right for him.

I am part sad b/c he is only 10 and "going away". I liken it to maybe how a parent feels when their children go off to college. However, the difference is 18 yr. olds CHOOSE to go to college and I am going to court to COMMIT my child to a State School. It's such a painful process and unique, that no one would ever understand if they haven't done it.

The other side of it all, which I have thought about briefly, is how this will change me.

I've always worked my life around Miguel. All things in Miguel's time. I scheduled my college classes/jobs/domestic tasks around his school/daycare/bus schedule/mood. I function based on his agenda and now I will be able to do WHATEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT. I have NO idea how I will respond to this sort of freedom. I never did what I wanted to do, but rather what I had to do....and now it is my time. I haven't had this in 10+ years.

I tell my close friends that if I disappear, don't bother looking for me. I may go to Mexico for the day and return in a decade. I consider selling beaded jewelry in a tiki hit on the beach...somewhere. Fortunately, the sky is the limit and hopefully, I figure out how to function without him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

-blank stare at screen-
Just reading the past few weeks worth of blogs makes me feel overwhelmingly frustrated for you Kelly. Kate from 'Jon and Kate plus 8' has been my Hero Mom for the past two years but you've kicked her a** off the pedestal and body slammed her for the hell of it.

I would have already given up, thrown in the towel or ran away, which proves that you are one tough cookie little lady and one of the most selfless people I've yet to meet.

It sounds like he excels in an structured environment so you should remind yourself that this is in Miguels best interest. You're doing what every loving parent would do: Do what is best for the child.

Seriously, I have no idea how you do it. Both you and Miguel are in my thoughts...[cue: Dream Baby - Roy Orbison].