Friday, December 21, 2007

UnJay a.k.a Uncle Jason

What kid gets a private tour of a fire station (Rescue 10 HFD)? MY KID! ;) It's all about nepotism, baby! :)

Miguel and I live with my brother, Jason. Miguel and Un Jay bonded at an early age, probably by wrestling and rough housing. Miguel grapples. True story. He also loves his "Un Jay"!



Even when we lived in IL, Miguel would ask for Un Jay. We'd respond, "Miguel, Un Jay is in Texas." That would not stop him from requesting the presence of Jason.


When Un Jay would come to town, he'd take Miguel for the day and show him off to anyone because he is a proud Uncle. One day, when Miguel was about...3 or so... Jason took him (and my truck) for the day while I commuted to Chicago for school. Jason and Miguel met me at the train station around 1530 and Miguel appeared....hungry. Through conversation about how Miguel's day went, I found that he had no solid foods....JUST MILK. Apparently, Jason is not savvy to the parenting aspect of feeding a child solid foods. Perhaps he should've came to town more often to visit his nephew! :)



Un Jay would always ask me when we were going to come and visit him and when I was going to put Miguel on a plane and send him to Texas to visit.



Silly Un Jay. Ask and ye shall receive. Now we live with you!!!



Hopefully, we'll move out before him. I tell him if he moves, make sure the new owners know that they are purchasing the home and the people in it...




Otherwise, he has to find a 3 bedroom so we can all fit! :)




At first, the thought of living with my brother was hard for me to grasp. I've been on my own since I was 17 and I was not prepared to freeload EVER. My mom raised us to be independent and capable individuals and I hadn't lived with my brother in 14 years, so this was going to be interesting.



A few things I learned in the past year....freeloading is not so bad, if you find a way to pull your own weight. I pull weight with cleaning and grocery shopping. Not bad at all.
Secondly, being unemployed is underrated. I found great enjoyment in myself in between my Master's and seeking employment.

Thirdly, I always appreciated my friends, family and social support but you really find out the ENORMOUS VOID they fill, when you lose it all.
Fourthly, my brother is AWESOME!


"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely." --Auguste Rodin

No comments: