Thursday, November 29, 2007

What is Autism?

Hell if I know but it beats the crap out of me sometimes...

This morning Autism woke up at 0400 to take a bath while everyone slept.

When it gets sick, it doesn't know how to deal with the strange feelings that come along with illness, so it spins, has labored breathing and juts it's hand into the air. Autism doesn't sleep when it's sick and the early signs of illness onset are these physical characteristics. When the physical symptoms are present, my first thought is "oh shit" and my response is bracing myself for 3 weeks of spontaneous screaming, no sleep or inconsistent sleep.

Thankfully, my guy isn't sick today....just a little more Autistic than usual.

The best part of being Miguel's mom is that any tiny achievement, even if it only happens once and never again, is MONUMENTAL!!!! Things that others take for granted are cherished in my life and anyone who really knows Miguel can relate to the average occurance that feels like the Heavens opened up and blessed me with the largest damn miracle anyone has ever witnessed!! These "miracles" (e.g. a word or phrase used at an appropriate time, whether, coincidence or not) usually are, in fact, coincidence but that doesn't stop us from hoping that the vocabulary or behavior "sticks".

Prior to the onset of Autism, Miguel would sing songs, say his ABC's, use little phrases and eat regular foods. After Autism, he'd go mute for weeks, eat only one type of food and become aggressive (I believe that is due to his inability to communicate effectively). He is now 10 years old (eeewwwww.....that's a reality check for me....) and I'll talk about recent events tomorrow. Life calls.

Newest development:

Miguel brings me his plate from the table when he is done eating. :)

"My crown is called content, a crown that seldom kings enjoy."

--William Shakespeare

No comments: